*PHILADELPHIA — To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, a major milestone of the Civil Rights Movement where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his historic “I Have a Dream” speech, Comcast has created a first of its kind video compilation to help chronicle the history and impact of the movement.
Called His Dream, Our Stories, the package includes more than 80 unique and personal interviews with civic leaders, elders, clergy, and activists, and will be available on Xfinity On Demand and online through October 12th and permanently at HisDreamOurStories.com.
Through commentary and archived footage, His Dream, Our Stories chronicles the March on Washington, the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement through interviews from influential leaders, including Rev. Billy Kyles, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Sr., former U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young, Ernest Green of the Little Rock Nine, political leaders like Rep. John Lewis and attendees of the March on Washington, the Detroit Walk to Freedom and the Selma-Montgomery March. Other topics include sit-ins of the 1960s, the Atlanta Student Movement, Memphis Sanitation Workers Strike of 1968 and the impact and legacy of the Civil Rights Movement on minority communities of all types.
In addition to viewing the full library of interviews, visitors to HisDreamOurStories.com will be able to submit their own stories commemorating the 50th anniversary of this pivotal event in our nation’s history. Users will also be able to discover and learn about civil rights organizations which continue to work toward equality and freedom, including the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation, the National Urban League, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the National Civil Rights Museum.
“Comcast and NBCUniversal are proud to contribute to this anniversary with such compelling content about the fight for civil rights,” said Charisse R. Lillie, Vice President of Community Investment, Comcast Corporation, and President of the Comcast Foundation. “It’s important to remember Dr. King’s legacy, and this unprecedented interactive multimedia package enables stories to be shared like never before.”
In addition to HisDreamOurStories.com, which serves as the ongoing online location for footage, features and finding and sharing information about the Civil Rights Movement, Comcast and NBCUniversal are making the content available across a variety of other platforms as part of current and planned coverage of the August 28th March on Washington anniversary.
- Xfinity On Demand: Xfinity TV customers can access the “March on DC at 50” folder to watch 80+ video interviews.
- Xfinity TV Player App: Xfinity TV customers can view 80+ video interviews on mobile devices.
- His Dream, Our Stories e-book: In late August, an educational e-book from NBC Publishing including 25 videos and an introduction from news journalist Lester Holt will be available to download for free on iTunes, Amazon and Nook stores.
- MSNBC: MSNBC will feature His Dream, Our Stories content online.
- NBC Owned Television Stations: NBC stations (including New York, Southern California, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas-Fort Worth, Bay Area, Washington, D.C., South Florida, San Diego and Connecticut) will have His Dream, Our Stories content on their websites.
- InteractiveOne.com: The website from the RadioOne/TVOne family will provide access to the videos on their NewsOne site as well as local sites.
- Comcast Newsmakers: Selected interviews will be inserted on CNN Headline News as part of the National Edition of Comcast Newsmakers.
- RollingStone.com: Rolling Stone will feature His Dream, Our Stories content online.
Additionally, anyone interested in utilizing the rich content library of
His Dream, Our Stories
- can embed any of the videos to share content on their own websites, blogs and social media platforms.
For more information about Comcast and NBCUniversal’s diversity and inclusion efforts, visit www.comcast.com/diversity.
About Comcast Corporation:
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is the nation’s largest video, high-speed Internet and phone provider to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates 30 news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.