burned car - boko haram

*(Via BBC News) – Islamist group Boko Haram has been accused of killing at least 26 people in attacks on two villages in north-east Nigeria, close to where hundreds of schoolgirls were seized.

Gunmen killed nine people in the village of Shawa and a further 17 in Alagarno, police and witnesses said.

The area is near Chibok, where the schoolgirls were abducted last month.

On Tuesday 118 people died in a double bombing in the central city of Jos, also blamed on Boko Haram.

The abductions of more than 200 girls caused international outrage and prompted foreign powers to send military advisers to assist Nigeria’s army.

The US state department has condemned the recent spate of attacks.

Spokeswoman Jen Psaki described them as “unconscionable, terrorist acts” and said the US would stand with the Nigerian government and people “in their efforts to defeat violent extremism”.

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague also condemned the attack in Jos, calling it a “cowardly, inhumane crime.”

Get the rest of this story at BBC News.