sharpton (in ferguson)

Rev. Al Sharpton in Ferguson, MO

*(Via LA Times) – A midnight-to-5 a.m. curfew will remain in effect early Monday in Ferguson, Mo., amid unrest surrounding the police shooting death of Michael Brown, an unarmed, black 18-year-old, officials in the St. Louis suburb announced Sunday afternoon.

Also Sunday afternoon, at a rally in Ferguson, speakers including the Rev. Al Sharpton and Martin Luther King III sounded calls for the nation to respond constructively to the situation by addressing what Sharpton called the militarization of police. Brown was shot and killed Aug. 9 by Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson, and his death has touched off a weeklong series of protests in the St. Louis suburb.

Community members need to take positive action too, Sharpton said. “Don’t loot in Michael’s name,” he implored, and told residents to wield influence by participating in elections. “You all got to start voting and showing up — 12% turnout is an insult to your children.”

The rally, hosted by Brown’s family, Sharpton’s National Action Network and the National Bar Assn., filled Greater Grace Church and spilled out the door.

Money for Brown’s relatives was raised, and Sharpton announced a class-action lawsuit for people hurt in the demonstrations of the last week.

Missouri State Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson, who took over direction of Ferguson’s security last week, got a standing ovation at the rally. “This is my neighborhood. You are my family, you are my friends, and I am you,” he said. His own son is a young black man who wears sagging pants and has tattoos on his arms, he said. “That’s my baby.”

Read/learn MORE at LA Times.

Meanwhile, Attorney General Eric Holder has authorized a second autopsy of Michael Brown.

“Due to the extraordinary circumstances involved in this case and at the request of the Brown family, Attorney General Holder has instructed Justice Department officials to arrange for an additional autopsy to be performed by a federal medical examiner,” Justice Department spokesman Brian Fallon said in a Sunday statement. “This independent examination will take place as soon as possible. Even after it is complete, Justice Department officials still plan to take the state-performed autopsy into account in the course of their investigation.”