*The Minnesota State Fair has multiple tributes planned to honor native son Prince this year.
Under the theme “Unite in Purple,” musical tributes will be held on all stages at the fair, in addition to a Prince Party in the Park at Carousel Park and the addition of lavender lights on iconic fair buildings and carnival rides.
Also, purple glow bracelets will be handed out, and the fireworks show that night will be set to Prince music.
Fair attendees are encouraged to wear purple as part of the celebration, which will take place on Friday, Aug. 26.
Read more details below in the official announcement:
The evening, centering around Prince, will feature a number of exclusive Unite in Purple activities:
- Prince music, tributes and cover songs at stages throughout the fairgrounds
- A Prince Party in the Park with music and dancing led by GenerationNOW’s DJ Dudley D, Prince’s personal DJ, at Carousel Park from 8-11:30 p.m. (L25 on a State Fair map)
- Lavender lighting on iconic fair buildings and carnival rides
- A one-night-only Lasertainment’s Laser Hitz show featuring a Prince finale beginning at 9:15 p.m. (V16 on a State Fair map)
- Unite in Purple glow bracelets for the first 5,000 guests through the gates after 5 p.m
- Unite in Purple buttons for the first 7,500 guests through the gates after 5 p.m.
- Following Charlie Wilson and Fantasia’s show at the Grandstand, the evening will conclude with the Minnesota State Fair Fireworks Spectacular sponsored by Mazda set entirely to Prince music and featuring a special pyrotechnic Prince tribute.